Selecting Home Exercise Equipment
With the myriad of exercise equipment available on the market, Teleshopping taking over morning television and new diet and training fads surfacing regularly, there is little wonder people are confused as to what is effective and what will suit their individual needs.
Marketing is a powerful thing. We see other people shaping up on television using the latest exercise equipment and believe it must be effective. Often this equipment is purchased with good intentions because people want to make a positive change. The truth is many of the equipment pieces that flood the market are cheaply made and do not serve the purpose for which they are intended.
How do you select the right exercise equipment for the home? Consider these points:
- Who will be using the equipment?
- Are those planning to use it self motivated enough to ensure it doesn’t become a dust collector?
- What are you hoping to achieve from the equipment?
- If something goes wrong with the equipment who and how will it be serviced and repaired?
- How long will servicing or repairs take and will they offer replacement equipment in the interim?
- Does the equipment suit all users needs?
- Do you know how to use the equipment?
- Will using this equipment become monotonous?
- What can you afford and will it be able to achieve your desired results?
- Are you better to spend the money on a gym membership or personal trainer to keep you motivated and ensure variety?
If you are confident you will get the use out of some home exercise equipment my first choice would be a multi station, something that can give you a cardio workout and a weight training/resistance session. If the budget doesn’t stretch this far, a treadmill or exercise bike, adjustable incline & decline weight bench and some free weights and barbell would be the next best option. As far as quality goes you do get what you pay for, but for domestic household use much of the equipment from retail fitness stores is adequate and will come with a warranty and service arrangement option.
Making informed and well considered purchasing decisions will ensure your fitness goals are heading in the right direction.